What is a Catch Basin, and why are they Important?
Catch basins, also known as storm drains or catch pits, are drainage structures used to collect rainwater and prevent flooding by directing the water away from the area. In parking lots, catch basins are typically located at low points to collect rainwater runoff and prevent it from pooling or flooding the area.
In the Greater Vancouver area, where heavy rainfall is common, catch basins play a critical role in managing stormwater and preventing water damage to roads and other infrastructure. The high volume of rainwater can quickly overwhelm the drainage system, leading to flooding and erosion. Therefore, properly installed and maintained catch basins are essential for efficient water management.
Burnaby Blacktop is an Expert at Installing and Maintaining Catch Basins
Burnaby Blacktop recognizes the importance of catch basins in our area and offer a variety of services related to their installation and maintenance. We use high-quality materials and equipment to ensure that catch basins are installed properly and function effectively. We also offer regular maintenance services, including cleaning and inspection, to ensure that catch basins are free from debris and blockages that can impede their function. Our team of experienced professionals is dedicated to providing reliable and efficient services to help our clients manage their stormwater effectively and prevent water damage.
Request an estimate for catch basin installation!GIVE US A CALL!
Catch Basin Installation:
Catch basins are typically installed in parking lots, roadways, and other paved areas where water runoff needs to be managed. Here are the general steps involved in installing catch basins:
Planning and design: The first step is to assess the site and determine the best location for the catch basin based on the drainage needs and site conditions. The size and capacity of the catch basin must also be determined based on the expected flow of water and the size of the area being drained.
- Excavation: The area where the catch basin will be installed is excavated to the appropriate depth and size, typically using heavy machinery such as an excavator.
- Setting the base: A base of gravel or crushed stone is laid at the bottom of the excavation to provide a stable foundation for the catch basin.
- Installing the basin: The catch basin is placed into the excavation and connected to the drainage system using pipes and fittings.
- Backfill and surface restoration: The excavation is backfilled with gravel and soil, and the surface is restored with asphalt or concrete to match the surrounding area.
Here are five points to consider when planning to install a catch basin on your property:
- Site evaluation: A thorough site evaluation is essential to determine the location, size, and capacity of the catch basin.
- Regulations and permits: Check with your local government to determine any regulations or permits required for installing a catch basin.
- Maintenance requirements: Regular maintenance is required to keep catch basins functioning properly, so consider the ongoing maintenance needs before installing.
- Budget: Installing a catch basin can be a significant investment, so it’s important to consider your budget and the cost of installation and maintenance.
- Contractor selection: Choose a reputable contractor with experience in catch basin installation to ensure the job is done correctly and efficiently.
Catch Basins Need Regular Maintenence
Catch basins are exposed to the elements, which can cause deterioration over time. Common causes of this deterioration include water erosion, recurrent freeze-thaw cycles, and the presence of salt or other chemicals in the stormwater. Additionally, catch basins can become damaged by weak mortar, aging, and vehicular traffic, which can reduce their effectiveness in managing stormwater runoff. As parking lot managers, it’s essential to keep catch basins functioning properly by ensuring that the sump is regularly cleared of debris, either manually or using a vactor truck. We also recommend conducting regular inspections of the areas around the catch basin to identify any issues before they become more significant problems.
Our team at Burnaby Blacktop has the expertise to help you maintain your catch basins and ensure that they continue to function efficiently for years to come.
Burnaby Blacktop Can Repair or Replace Your Catch Basin.
If you have a catch basin on your property that has stopped working correctly, our experienced staff can inspect your lot and determine the best course of action.
Our experts will work with you to develop a plan that fits within your budget and addresses the root cause of the problem.
For severe cases, we may recommend completely replacing the catch basin. Our team takes a meticulous approach to ensure a successful outcome. We start by carefully locating all utilities before excavating the existing catch basin and installing a new one that is properly connected to the drainage lines. To ensure proper drainage, we meticulously install iron frames before backfilling the excavated levels with hot asphalt mix or reinforced concrete. Rest easy knowing that your replacement is in good hands with our team.
For less severe cases, repairs may be the best option. Our team often installs adjustment rings to reset the level of the catch basin for proper drainage and adds concrete collars to reinforce the mouth of the catch basin. With our expert repair services, we can help you keep your catch basins functioning efficiently and effectively for years to come.
Contact Burnaby Blacktop today to learn more about our catch basin services.